HISTORY OF ST GEORGE'S
The stone for the first Presbyterian church in Takapuna was laid on 28 April 1902 by the then Governor-General, Lord Ranfurly. The name chosen was St George's, as an indication that the church was not exclusively Scottish. The first service was held in June of that year and the church remained under the leadership of St Pauls, Devonport, until March 1918.
The original wooden church was replaced with the current church, designed by Ken Douglas and officially opened in February 1965. The church included 4 memorial windows, designed by Patrick Hanly and made by the Auckland Glass Company.
Rev Sylvia Miller Hardie, M Th, Dip Min.
Sylvia has been Minister at St George's since 2006. She is a natural communicator with strong interpersonal skills. She states that her faith is the motivating factor in her life, and her ministry of the word and sacrament reflects a deep commitment to share the hope of Christ with others. She believes avidly in a life of prayer, has a deep sense of the sacred presence and a lively sense of humour. Sylvia has 5 adult children, 19 grandchildren and a miniature dachshund, who regularly accompanies her to the Church.
Peter Weir, LL M
Peter comes from a family whose association with St. George's goes back to his great-grandparents. He is a graduate of Auckland University and the London School of Economics. He serves as a lay preacher when the Minister is unavailable.
Jennifer Siew, LL.B. (Hons) UK; Dip. in Early Childhood (Montessori) UK
Jennifer is fluent in 3 languages. This ensures the smooth administration of the Church and Community Centre in our multilingual society. She is the person to see if you wish to find out more about the programs that we run or hire our facilities for your event. Jennifer utilises her skills and training to ensure that critical aspects of reporting, health and safety, contract management standards are met. She is an invaluable leadership asset in early childhood education and runs our very successful Preschool Playgroup which is based on principles of Montessori and certificated by our Ministry of Education. In her free time, she volunteers as a pianist at St Benedict's Church on Sundays.
Stephen Beech, Dip LRSM
Our organist, Stephen Beech, has enjoyed a life-long passion with the pipe organ and its repertoire. He is self-taught and gained a Diploma LRSM from the Royal School of Music for organ performance. The Rodgers 360 digital organ installed in St George's Church provides a large voice palette which allows for the performances of orchestral transcriptions, a wide variety of music genres and, most importantly, the conventional organ repertoire. The design of the church, along with its high ceilings, has created a very satisfying accoustal space in which the organ speaks very convincingly.